Quantcast

Wrasse lost an eye due to goby and infection.

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

BlennyBabe

Rachel
A few weeks ago I added a blue neon cleaner goby to my tank. I had one in the past that was a very cool fish. He caused no harm to any of my fish or corals and had a neat personality. This fish that I just added caused my wrasse some damage. While the wrasse slept, the goby ate a hole in the wrasse's head. It was exactly the same size and shape as the goby's little mouth. So needless to say the goby was caught and taken back to a LFS. Well the wrasse's injury got infected with something. His injury spread and deepened. It was impossible to catch the wrasse so I just left him be. He became very shy and spent most of his days hiding. After about a week, he started looking very bad. He was on his side and breathing slowly. I actually went to remove him because I thought he was dead and he swam to the back part of the tank. I left him there and turned off the lights and lowered the current trying to make it less stressful for him. I had all but given up when few days later he was back and swimming around. He began to eat and I thought he would make it. The wound in his head was still there but was looking like it was getting smaller. Well about three days after he reappeared, one of his eyes was enlarged. Again, it was impossible to catch him, and I figured this new infection would finally do him in. He continued to eat and be active, although still not as robust and bold as before the goby.
Now, he has lost his eye. It atrophied and became discolored. I havent seen him for two weeks (Im away at school) but when I was home his eye looked very strange. It was silvery and looked like a goats or an octapus' eye. It was also quite a bid smaller than its mate. I also suspect some brain damage or psycological scarring (if fish can have such a thing)
His other eye is completly fine and he is gaining back his gusto and eating like a pig. His long dorsal fins had atrophied, possibly fin rot related to the eye infection or something, but they have started to come back.

I have had this wrasse for about 4 years now. He is a long finned fairy wrasse male who before this incident was a spectacular show fish. Now he is but a shadow of his former self, all because of a stupid $10 goby. Hopefully he will be able to become as beautiful as before, with the exception of his eye... Anyway, I just thought I would share this story with everyone. Hopefully you will have better luck with these gobies than I did.

wrightme43

Rachel, I dont know if you are aware of this or not so I thought I would post it anyway. There is a blennie that mimics the cleaner wrasse and attacks fish and takes bites out of them. its called the falsh cleaner or sabetooth blennie and has a different mouth than the cleaner wrasse. I dont know that this is what happened. I just wanted to throw the info out there and see what you thought. Sorry about your pretty fish. Maybe you could get him a little eyepatch and get him on a fish soap opera. LOL That is a real bummer on such a pretty fish. I have seen one eyed fish live a long life. You have to be doing something good to get him to heal up. HTH Steve

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Yeah Im aware of those fish, but thats not what I added. It was just a basic cleaner goby, Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) oceanops

Last edited:

NaH2O

Sorry about the fish. Sounds like you are doing the best you can, and seems like he may be on the mend. Keep us updated. I never knew a neon goby would do that. Was there anything on that area that the goby may have been "cleaning"?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.