Quantcast

Wrasse problem

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

MzWeazelle

Hi. Am new here, but I've seen a lot of interesting information in just the last few days and am hoping someone might have some ideas on my latest problem.

I have a 140 gallon reef, about 9 months old. I just brought home a couple of new residents - a bicolor blennie and a dragon blennie (or dragon gobie, I can't remember at the moment) and my wrasse is trying to beat the living daylights out of the bicolor! So far he seems to be holding his own by hiding in a hole and lunging out ferociously whenever the wrasse gets too close. Anyway, are these two natural enemies and the bicolor is doomed to constant torment? I have noticed the wrasse is pretty aggressive toward my other fish, but most of them are his size or bigger so they do fine.

Also a bit worried about the hungry look in my marine betta's eye when he first saw the bicolor, but I think the little fella is a little too big to be swallowed whole - hoping anyway!

Any thoughts anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

MzWeazelle

j.stagner

Seeker of knowledge
I can't tell you much about the compatability of your fish, but I can tell you that bicolor blennies are quite the characters. Mine does just fine among a few fish quite a bit larger than him, and loves to play "king of the mountain". He spends the majority of his time in the largest, tallest, most prominent rock in the tank. Whenever a snail or hermit crab gets too close to his hole, he shoots out like a bullet and head butts them right off of the rock!

If the compatability issues are able to be resolved, I think you will find that you have just purchased a very interesting fish.

mojoreef

Reef Keeper
If the blenny is fighting back you should be fine, they will grow tired of the energy neede to chase each other around. Put up a picture if you have a chance, I would love to see it.

Mike

Alice

Sounds like you've just got some territorial issues going on and like Mike said, it will probably resolve itself soon. What kind of Wrasse is it?

Welcome to Reef Frontiers! :)

MzWeazelle

Thanks for the replies.

I wish I could say that all is going well with the little fellow. Unfortunately I found him quite tattered this morning, though still alive. He was fighting the wrasse well last night and I thought he would be okay. However I think my 4 chromis joined the wrasse and overwhelmed him after "sun-up" this morning. I hope I got to him in time - he is now inhabiting a breeding net we happened to have until the problem can be resolved.

Speaking of which, any body know how to get 4 chromis out of my tank? lol

Actually, we have an empty 90 gallon (not reef-ready) tank that we are quickly gearing up. We plan to dismantle as much of the 140 as necessary to remove the chromis and the wrasse. The wrasse will move to the new tank and the chromis will be traded in.

When we bought the wrasse I believe he was labeled a "12-line" but the closest picture I have found was, I believe, called a "4-line". He's beautiful so we are going to try to keep him.

The blenny, should he survive, looks to be a beautiful fellow. I'll try to post a picture, after he gets his fins back!

MzWeazelle

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

Latest posts