Quantcast

yat another newbie

Help Support Reef Frontiers:

juliusrules

I set up my tank just over a months ago and it is fantastic. Everything is perfect ( except for the little green fuzzy algae growing right up near the light ). To start .... it is a little 7g with a 32w retrofit and it's reasonably full of live rock. I'd say about 8-10lbs (?) and it was started with live sand as well. I've had the shop do a thorough water test for me and all is well. I use R/O and distilled water only for changes. As for crittrers.... 2 false percs, 2 peppermint shrimp, one firefish, one harlequin shrimp (and one chocolate chip star who is dinner), one fighting conch, and 4 or 5 little blue hermits ( I think that's everyone...). Nobody seems to want the algae though. What can I add to this system to help keep the algae under control while not eating the little sponges that are poking out and the little red feather dusters too ( everything seems so little... well, it's only a 7g !) Would the addition of a marco algae out compete the thready stuff for nutrients? I am absolutely smitten with Calurpa_Serulariodes (looks like little green feathers :), although I can't seem to find it for sale in these parts. My local dealer told me that they can't even order it. :( I'd have to maybe BUY ALGAE ONLINE....? never thought I'd hear myself say THAT!?

so, are there any suggestions? Let me say straight off... I LOVE THIS TANK... I just feel that it could look better. The corals and zooanthids are happy and well (fishies too).... ps... what is that slimy purplish algae? I'll go look on the ID page again... but that is SOOOOO bizarre looking.

gina

NaH2O

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Hope you enjoy our community!

What and how often are you feeding? New tanks go through algae cycles, and it really sucks, as I'm dealing with an algae bloom myself. If the purplish algae is slimy, it sounds like cyano. Do you have any form of circulation in the tank? I'm not sure on numbers of snails for a 7 gallon tank, but you may want to add a couple of snails - maybe astrea for the algae, and nassarius (for the sand bed). You could also add a hang on back refugium for the addition of macroalgae, then you wouldn't need to be concerned about appearance. Buying things online isn't so bad. I've found it very useful when I can't find something locally....I can still get what I want. Did your LFS tell you what your numbers were for the tests they conducted? Also, how often are you performing water changes?

juliusrules

I top off the evaporated water with distilled, but so far I've only done 2 20-30% changes (in the past 3 weeks) and I feed a pinch of new life spectrum daily ( Mostly for the fish, but it seems like the peppermints enjoy it as well ). Brine and micro worms are given as treats. and occassionally a pellet for the plate coral. The LFS did not tell me what the readings were; just that everything looked good. I test the amonia and easy stuff for myself... My salinity is right on the top edge of the "good" zone, resonable for "reef" I think. Density?.... .025? can never remember where the decimal goes. Have NO IDEA where phosphates were. That's the one test I can't do for myself still *(well... that and copper ). Since I have been using R/O it can really only be entering through the food excess, right? There is a powerhead which blows directly across the rock with the algae growth.
But, the shrimp have all molted at least once each :). And I don't mind the appearance of the macro algae for the most part. In fact I think there is a little bit trying to take hold under the thread algae. It just looks like stalks for now. Will snails eat macros or sponges? What about emerald or scarlet crabs?
As far as the refugium goes...? Not sure what I would do there. Do they come that small? Is it a necessity or a frill? My friend has been trying to convince me that I need a refractometer (chuckle....)

Last edited:

MtnDewMan

Just wanted to provide my Welcome to Reef Frontiers as well ...

Wholey Typos Batfishman ... that made me laugh ... :lol:

NaH2O

Refractometers are really nice to have. If you don't want to buy one, then you can compare your hydrometer with someone's refractometer and see if your reading is off. 1.025 isn't anything to worry about, it is the swings you want to watch for in a small tank. Here is a thread/poll on Specific Gravity:

What is your Specific Gravity

Since I have been using R/O it can really only be entering through the food excess, right?
Phosphates come from all sorts of places....fish waste, food, some salt mixes, tap water, detritus. Salifert makes an easy phosphate test kit that is reliable for testing inorganic phosphates.

Why are you testing for copper? I would think unless your distilled water comes from a place that uses copper coils for distillation you wouldn't need to test for it?

Will snails eat macros or sponges? What about emerald or scarlet crabs?
No - the snails will do a good job keeping your rock and tank surfaces cleaned up. I don't think I would put any more crabs in your tank. Scarlet crabs are less aggressive than other hermits, but still act opprotunistic towards snails and each other when not provided empty shells to upgrade.

A hang on refugium would be a frill, not a necessity, but some find them useful. Your tank is most likely experiencing the normal post cycle aglae bloom. Remember with a small tank, swings in chemistry can happen quickly, so keep track of your water parameters. Post some pics when you can!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.